2017-04-23: Remembering Professor Hussein Abdel-Wahab

Hussein (blue shirt) at the post-defense feast for Dr. SalahEldeen.
As we head into exam week, I can't help but reflect that this is the first exam week at ODU since 1980 that does not involve Professor Hussein Abdel-Wahab.  The department itself was established in 1979, so Hussein has been here nearly since the beginning.  For comparison, in 1980 I was in middle school. 

I had the privilege of knowing Hussein both as my instructor for three classes in 1996 & 1997, and as a colleague since 2002.  None who knew Hussein would dispute that he was an excellent instructor with unrivaled concern for students' learning and general well-being. It is fitting that ODU is establishing the Dr. Abdel-Wahab Memorial Scholarship (http://bit.ly/HusseinAbdelWahabODU) which will support graduate students.  As of April 11, the scholarship is 58% of the way to its goal of $25k.  I've donated, and I call on all former students and colleagues to continue Hussein's legacy and ensure this scholarship is fully funded.


--Michael

Comments

Post a Comment